Friday, February 16, 2018

DIY heart shaped pin board



Like basically everyone else on instagram, I was really smitten with the heart-shaped pin board that Target had in their dollar spot last year. I was hoping I could snag a few more this year but when I couldn't find any at my local store I decided to DIY it and make my own! I actually like this even better since I got to pick my own fabric design, I used cork board that heals better (pins don't leave permanent holes in the cork, which tends to happen with thin cork boards that are backed with cardboard) and it's a little bigger so I can fill it up with more pins!



To make your own heart-shaped pin board you'll need:

- two 12" x 12" pieces of cork
- a wooden heart cut-out*
- fabric of your choice
- hot glue
- utility knife (I use this one)

*I got the 12" x 12" heart, but you could really do any shape using this tutorial, or use smaller heart shapes and hang them in a little cluster! Just make sure that your wooden shape is small enough to fit on your cork board.



Start by tracing your wooden heart onto two sheets of cork board. (Using two pieces means your pins will stick in the cork better!) Then use the utility knife to cut out the shapes. (Make sure you have something underneath the cork so that you don't cut your desk!) Use your hot glue gun to glue one sheet of cork onto the wooden heart shape. I just put some glue in the corners to make sure it doesn't shift around. Once they're attached, use the glue gun again to adhere the second piece of cork on top. So you should have two layers of cork, with a bottom base of wood.

Cut your fabric with about 2" of excess around the edge of the shape, and then cut small slits so that the fabric will easily conform to the shape of the wood. Use the hot glue gun to glue the fabric down, and then cut off any excess fabric. At this point you can choose how you want to hang the board. I decided to wire the back with picture frame wire and two tiny screws, but you could also attach ribbon (which would look more like the Target cork board) or a saw-tooth hanger.



And voila! A heart-shaped cork board! I love that this is so customizable -- you can use any fabric, customize the size, even customize the shape if you don't want a heart! Now the only thing left to do is fill it up with pins (might I suggest these? ;)